Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Making a change in my running

As I've mentioned a number of times in this blog, I was attacked by blood clots last January. After I left the hospital, I started walking, and I got my walking up to 1 1/2 miles. I then started to mix in small amounts of running. I continued with that distance and over a period of several weeks got the running portion of the distance up to a max of 1 mile and typically about 0.8 miles. I would run for .05 to .1 mile or so and then walk for about the same distance to recover. I then would repeat that sequence. However, recently I haven't been able to get much of an increase in the amount of running. It's as if I have reached a plateau in my running for that distance.

I thus decided to try a different approach to regaining my running. I'm no longer concerned about the amount of running I do in my exercise. I'm just alternating running and walking in a way that feels comfortable for me. I am, however, increasing the total distance. About a week ago I increased the distance, and I made a second increase today. I'm making small increases so my body can better adjust to them. So far, I've enjoyed this new approach. I like being free from any psychological pressure to run for longer stretches before I walk. I just run until I feel like I should walk, and that is enjoyable to me.

19 comments:

  1. Very good your blog, but this is too very good:
    http://lusasportsemgeral.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an inspiration!

    Peace to you, M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspirational blog. I think it's great that you're just running for enjoyment now without putting pressure on yourself. I just started running recently and I'm always pushing myself even though I'm still pretty slow. I wish I could let myself just slow down sometimes and enjoy the run and walk if I feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying so hard to get into a routine with running, but as soon as I get up to about 15-20 miles a week, I get injured! You have me inspired to train smart, not hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips. I've goten back into running and I'm finding it very hard. I'll definitely alternate walking and running to build some stamina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That the best: running for fun...no adenda, just for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, as a suggestion, go to my training site and read the pages on stress and rest. Injury comes from too much of the first and not enough of the second.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found your blog while surfing. I'm 65 and a walker. You, my friend are and inspiration to anyone who wants to get and stay healthy. I hope the good lord lets me excercise until the day the day he calls me home. Congrats. Jim (Dewitt Michigan) aka "Forrest"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Jim. As a walker you inspire many folks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a general comment: GREAT blog! Inspiring, educational, and well thought out. Rare combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very inspirational! makes me want to put back on my running shoes and hit the pavement.

    - - - - - - - - - -

    http://yesthatdidhappen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog - you are an inspiration for this lapsed lazy runner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!Wow!
    I'm from Brazil and a friend show me your blog! What can I say?... :)
    Keep doing the difference man. You're a Legend. Serious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. good for you! Just BE CAREFUL and increase really, really slowly. The #1 cause of injury is to increase mileage or intensity too quickly.... It has happened to me and both of my sisters in law.

    ReplyDelete
  15. good job mate

    http://lauriexx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I also discovered run/walking and find it a viable interval-training alternative (a 43 yo woman, 215 lbs...) The attitude of "just enjoying" helped me with my longer-distance swims, too. It's not the speed, it's being out there. BTW people much older than me, approaching your age, passed me in my first triathlon 2 weeks ago :-) You rock!

    ReplyDelete