Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Did a rest 1.3 mile hike with my grandkids

Four of my grandkids are visiting for a couple of weeks, and one is a Cub Scout who is nearing his birthday 10th birthday. We went on a family hike to fulfill one of his requirements. We had talked about what to do if they become lost on a hike or in a department store [stay where you are; don't move unless you need to for safety reasons], and we practiced that during the hike.

A couple of the grandkids walked ahead of us until they were out of sight. They then had to decide if they would stay put until they were discovered or if they would keep walking trying to find their way back. They had a whistle that they blew to make a noise. The rest of us walked down the path looking for them until we found them.

As we neared the end of the hike, I disappeared without telling the rest what I was doing. They reached the end of the hike and waited for me, but I didn't show up. So, a couple of the kids walked back along the trail looking for me, and they found me.

6 comments:

  1. This is a neat way for children to learn their bearings. Great idea and it sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like fun. My boys were cubscouts, and I remember doing the hike with them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be fun and really nice for your grand kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for the grandkids. Sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man you are a mirror for another people congratulations Loved your blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is something my Grandad would do too :)

    ReplyDelete