Tuesday, June 19, 2007

It's kinda fun to be an old man running

Last Saturday while I was running, I passed a man on a bike. On my way back, I passed him again, and he stopped me and asked, "How old are you?" I replied "71". He then asked, "How far are you going?" I said, "Today 3 miles. A week ago I did 10". He asked, "Any problems with your joints?" I said, "No". "Taking anything for your joints?" "No". "How long you been running?" "34 years". We then talked for a few minutes about losing weight via running.

I think he stopped me, because I'm currently wearing a beard that makes me look a bit older. My wife is in Europe for 2 1/2 months as a traveling nanny for my daughter and son-in-law who are abroad doing historical research and who will be presenting papers at two conferences in Switzerland in July. My beard is my "bachelor beard" :)

Yesterday, I was running, and two older men passed me on their bikes. One of them shouted out, "Keep it up, youngster!" This morning I passed a walker, and she said, "You're awesome".

Before I grew my beard, I never received comments like these, so I like that the beard makes me look older and thus more of a "miracle runner" in the eyes of the runners who comment to me.

Here are my before and after pictures.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know you have a "bachelor beard!" You should post a picture of you in your beard as that would definitely be a different YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have a picture taken tomorrow before I go out running... My wife's uncle, who is 85, said I looked "distinguished".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Bruce, the pictures are up. Do I look like a different person?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it, Dad! Maybe you should keep it. You do look very distinguished. It's nice to be able to look as young as you look without it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with tova, you do look very distinguished and maybe you should keep it. Also, I find that having a beard saves me time from shaving, which equates to about another one mile on the roads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look better with the close-cropped beard. Close cropped bear and close-cropped hair.

    Together, they'll take 10 years off you.

    ReplyDelete