Saturday, June 30, 2007

2nd in my age-group at the 5K

The race began at 6:00 am, and by 6:32:28 I was finished. My time of 32:28 gave me a 2nd place in my age group of 70 and older. I was 94th out of about 220 runners. My average for the race was 10:26. I took 30-second walking breaks every half mile, and sometimes I took them more often. Subtracting the break-times gives me approximately a 9:15 average pace for my actual running. I drank no liquids during the race because the sun hadn't come up and the temperature was in the mid to high 60s (F).

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Allen! I thought about you Saturday morning, sending good wishes for a strong race. Are you pleased with your performance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie,

    Yes, I'm pleased. I could tell I wasn't quite as energetic as I was for the two half-marathons I've run this past year, but the pace numbers I posted below this post show I ran faster in the 5K than I did in either of the halfs. For the past two months, I've reduced my distance so I could focus on running faster, and I think it's paying off.

    How do you like your new shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Improvements come, slowly but surely, don't they?

    I am very happy with my new shoes and think they are just what I needed. I'm still experimenting a bit with the heel lifts, though. I think it might be helpful for one leg, but detrimental to the other. Do you know anything about using heel lifts?

    I'm coming through Salt Lake City this week (on my way to Zion's for vacation) and plan to stop into Wasatch Running. I understand they do a very professional analysis of one's running stride/gait and I'm curious what they would say about mine. If they suggest anything for me other than motion control shoes, though, I just might give up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I don't know anything about heel lifts.

    ReplyDelete