Saturday, June 23, 2007

A great 2 1/4 hour (9 mile) run

I ran for 2 1/4 hours and covered 9 miles. That time included a lot of long walking breaks. After I had finished a one-mile warm up, I ran at a faster pace. Starting at the two-mile marker, I timed a half-mile segment at a pace of 11:10. On the way back, at the 7-mile marker, I timed a half-mile segment at a pace of 10:40. I timed the last half-mile segment at a pace of 11:20. Those paces are approximate, because I may not have started and stopped at the exact markers. Considering the heat, those are good paces for a longer distance.

My 5K race is next Saturday, so today was my last heavy run before the race. My running on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week will be light, rest runs. I'm going to focus on getting more sleep this week so I'll be rested and can (hopefully) peak for the race. I'll be happy with anything below 30 minutes, but I would like to get a 27-minute time, and a 25-minute time would be a miracle.

4 comments:

  1. I'll be on vacation when you're running your 5k race, unfortunately my wife's relatives don't have a computer and won't be able to read about your race :( I'll be back on July 11th. Good luck, but you really don't need the luck as you have good skill!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bruce! I don't know what part of NY you're going to, but if it is upstate NY, you may be able to run the rural back roads, similar to the ones I ran in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. That would be like being in runners-heaven.

    Here is a link to my wallpaper. The picture is of a runner in Pennsylvania, but upstate NY and New England look like that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife's relatives live in the City of Auburn, Cayuga County, Finger Lakes Region and I've ran there before, about NINE years ago and doubt if much has changed. I'm looking forward to running on the roads again...thankfully my recovery week falls on the first week I'm there, hence I can slowly adjust to the roads and high humidity! I don't know what I'm going to do the following high mileage week as my wife has made many plans for me...plus, I won't have access to a gym for circuit training workouts. I'll just do the best I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh... the Finger Lakes! If you don't get as much running as you'd like, that's ok. You'll bounce back very quickly. This trip is your time to focus on your wife and her needs.

    ReplyDelete