Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Going to do fewer cadence drills

I've run cadence drills for the past two Mondays, and in both cases I've been tired afterwards. I think I've run too many of the drills. Galloway says to just run 3-7 of them. I've probably been running 9 or 10 of them. Even though my increase in speed is slight, the number of the drills means I'm running that faster pace for a significant portion of my run. Next Monday I'll cut back to four or five drills and see how that goes. I haven't been running very fast during the winter, and I need some time to increase my speed.

I usually run my two-hour run on Wednesdays, but I have a busy schedule today. I'll do that run tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I normally set my limit on repeats depending on my heart rate zone...last week's speed drill I cut short as my heart rate during the recovery interval was too high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bruce,

    Your repeats are probably more intense than my cadence drills. In my case, I ran 30 seconds at a comfortable rest pace and counted 45 times that my left foot hit the ground. Then I increased my pace slightly for 30 seconds and counted 47 times that my left foot hit the ground. That was one drill. I ran the rest pace for 2 or 3 minutes for recovery. I felt fine during the run and afterwards, but I was tired the next day even though I had had a good nights sleep. There are probably a number of possible reasons for me feeling tired the next day, but I'll reduce the number of drills I do in the hour run and see how I feel.

    ReplyDelete