Saturday, July 15, 2006

Ran 11 miles today

The weather forecast for today was for 100+ temperatures, so I went to bed earlier last night and got up earlier for my reduced long run. When I left home about 7:30 am, the shade temperature was about 74 (F). When I returned the shade temperature was 86. My wakeup HR was 52.

I ran the Jordan River Parkway and enjoyed the cooler morning air. There was a light breeze blowing, and a lot of runners, walkers, roller bladers, and bikers were out. I ran the 11 miles in 2 hours 21 minutes for an average pace of 12:49, including walking breaks and a brief stop to watch an artist work on her painting of a marsh. That finishing time extrapolated to 13 miles would be 2 hours 47 minutes, a bit faster than my 12 mile run on Wednesday and my 13 mile run a week ago. I didn't make any effort to go faster. I just let my body dictate the pace.

I didn't eat any food before I left home, because I wanted to test my theory from last week that eating food just before I leave puts a burden on my body and causes me to run slower. I felt tired during the run, and I can't draw any conclusions about not eating food. Two nights ago, I didn't get enough sleep, and that may have been a factor, too. I did sleep well last night, but it usually takes several nights of good sleep to overcome the handicap of a night of insufficient sleep.

Since I began running on the Parkway, I've noticed an interesting phenomena about human nature. When I pass a group of walkers/runners going the opposite direction, I always smile and say "Hi". The women usually return the greeting. The men, however, usually don't say anything.

I only have three more Saturday long runs before my taper week and the half marathon on August 19. The time is going fast.

Training Graphs

No comments:

Post a Comment