Thursday, July 27, 2006

My new LOCO shoes came

I ordered a new pair of LOCO Perfecto shoes (http://www.locorunning.com/) to use in the GSL, and they came a couple of days ago. They don't need breaking in, but I'm breaking them in anyway. I wore them on Tuesday for my 2 mile rest run. I'll wear then next Monday for the 5-miler, and then for each run until the race. That will give me about 50 miles on them before the race.

My wakeup HR was 47 this morning, although I'm still tired from my 10-miler last night. I had a good 7 hours sleep. I'm looking forward to the next two days of rest and then the 13-miler on Saturday.

The current issue of Runner's World has a nice article on avoiding heat stroke, and there is a table in the article that gives the amount of liquid one should drink during a run. For my body size and expected temperature on Saturday (103 F), I should be drinking over twice what I have been drinking during my 13-mile run. My fanny pack only holds 40 oz of liquid (two Gatorade bottles), so on Saturday I'm going to carry two additional bottles and throw them away as I empty them (there are quite a few waste containers along the Parkway). That will give me 80 oz of liquid, while the table says I should have 96 oz. If I need more liquid, I'll stop at the water fountain that is in the picnic area about a mile and a half from the end of the run. I learned from my experience that the 40 oz I've been carrying is not nearly enough for my 13 miler in 90+ (F) temperatures, especially since I sweat a lot.

Training Graphs

2 comments:

  1. Howdy! You've got new shoes and a new poly shirt too...must be Christmas in July!!! I'm amazed that certain runners, like our Randy, can run so many miles without ANY water. I've been experimenting with drinking a few swallows every three miles and been doing well. I find that I still need to drink plenty of fluids BEFORE my runs and throughout the day. Happy trails, Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it is July isn't it. For some reason, I thought it was December :) Actually, since I just retired, I thought I'd splurge a bit.

    I've been thinking about Randy and wondering how he does so well on so little water.

    I've been taking walking breaks for 1 minute each mile, and I drink my water during that break. With 40 oz of water, I would drink a couple of sips per mile, some miles drinking a bit more. When I try 80 oz on Saturday, I'll double my intake. I'm sweating continuously, and I think I should replace it every mile, sometimes even at 1/2 mile breaks if I'm tired or it is very hot.

    ReplyDelete