Monday, July 31, 2006

A great 5-mile rest run

My wakeup HR was 48 this morning, and I felt pretty good. The weather forecast for the next several days is cooler with a max in the 80s (F). When I left home this morning, the temperature was in the high 60s (F), and when I returned from my run it was in the low 70s (F). The sky was cloudy, and not having the direct sun was great. I ran at a comfortable pace and stopped once in a while for a water break. I drank about 10 oz of water during the run, having drunk about 16 oz after I got up and before I left.

Even though the temperature was cooler and the sky was cloudy, I still sweat a lot; my T-shirt was soaked all the way from the neckline down to the tail. The humidity was higher due to the clouds, and we had a few sprinkles of rain right after I got home.

After I finished my run, two girls stopped to ask me a couple of questions about distances on the Jordan River Parkway. They are planning on running the St. George (Utah) marathon in October. They said their long run is 8 miles and they are running 20 miles a week. I told them that isn't enough -- they will finish but will be "hurting". With nine weeks before their marathon, and three of those for a taper, they only have 6 weeks of good training left. I hope they can get more miles in during those weeks. They are following a novice plan from runnersworld.com

No comments:

Post a Comment