Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The ducks were already congregating for the night

In my run this afternoon, about two hours before dark, when I passed by the quarter-mile stretch that gives me a good view of the river (as reported in yesterday's post about the ducks), I saw about a hundred or so ducks gathering in the river. I haven't seen them on days that I've passed this stretch earlier in the day. The ducks were apparently gathering for the night.

After I got back to my car, I sat there for a few minutes watching a large flock of birds prepare for the night. I don't know what kind of bird they were, but I'm guessing Starlings. There were probably 200 or more birds in a large flock. They would fly through the air, zig zagging around, and then they would all land in the same tree. The tree looked like a Christmas tree with each bird an ornament. Then they would take off and fly around for about a minute and then land in another tree. After landing in five or six trees, they picked a tree that was out of sight, and they disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment