Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ran 3 miles & biked 5.5 miles

Today was a green day, and I ran on the Jordan River Parkway, going north from 100th South through the Sandy golf course and up to 7th West and 90th South. I'm using a run/walk ratio of 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking, and that ratio worked fine for most of the way. Towards the end, I did reduce the running a bit and increase the walking. I didn't take any rest stops.

Even though the temperature was in the high 30s (F) while I ran, I've been wearing for the past few days a fourth layer of a thick cotton long-sleeved t-shirt that I got in the fall of 1992 while helping provide radio communications for the Fall soccer tournament in Pepperell, MA. When I was younger and was running faster, I would have been comfortable with my usual three layers, but as I get older, I'm more sensitive to temperature, and I needed the fourth layer to make my workout comfortable. I'm running and walking pretty slow.

I saw quite a few ducks in the river, including Mallards, Coots, and a duck I don't remember seeing before. They have black heads, back, and most of their body and a white breast. I think they are Pomeranian ducks. The picture shown below is from the web. Click on the picture for a larger image.

After I finished my run/walk, I went to the gym and ran the Speedway and Fruitdale courses. I set PB in both courses. My heart rate has usually been 80-90 while cycling, but today it got up to 103. Higher than I'd like but still in the comfortable range. My breathing was a steady one peddle in and one peddle out. My wakeup heart rate this morning was 59. The Fruitdale course is the longest of the Basic courses, but it is flat and follows a shoreline. I don't think I changed gears at all during the 4.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment