Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Rode the Expresso Bike for 45 minutes

My wakeup heart rate was 58. Today was a no-running day, but my wife and I went to the gym, and she walked her mile while I rode the Expresso bike. I rode the City Express route, my first venture into the Moderate routes. Boy, was that route different. Nothing but hills! Long hills. I had to climb hills with a 40% grade and go down hills with almost that steep of a grade. There were times when I started down a hill, and I couldn't see the road in front of me. I just had to steer blindly for a few seconds. The route was only 4.5 miles long, but it took me twice as long, and I burned twice as many calories, than the routes of about the same distance in the Basic category. I was really tired when I finished!

2 comments:

  1. Love that you have a 58 BPM heart rate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Francie,

    58 is higher than I'd like it to be, but I'm still having problems getting sufficient sleep. When I ran marathons in my mid 40s, my BPM was 44. A couple of years ago it was about 50. And, just a few months ago it was 53. 58 is about 10% higher than 53, so it is OK to run with my BPM being 58. 62 or 63 is the highest value I'll run with, and I'll reduce my distance when it is that high.

    ReplyDelete