Monday, May 03, 2010

Didn't run today but got a BIG workout

A big dump truck delivered 12 yards of compost this morning, and my wife and I spent the whole day moving the compost to our flower gardens. The good news is that compost is lighter than dirt. The bad news is that it is still heavy. I started out filling the wheelbarrow clear full. After a while I was filling it about 3/4 full. Towards the end of the day I was filling it half full. In the beginning I pushed the wheelbarrow with a brisk walk. At the end I was walking a slow shuffle. I was on my feet about seven of the eight hours we spent moving the compost (I took several breaks during the day. As a runner, I've learned to pace myself), and I probably walked at least a mile, maybe a mile and a half, back and forth to our gardens. I estimated there were about 150 wheelbarrow loads of compost. We still have about three yards to move in the morning before thunderstorms move in.

The temperature was in the 60s (F), and it was a pleasant day to be working in our yard. Had it been a hot summer day, I would have been "dead".

We stopped work about 6:00 pm, and I brought some food home so we could eat without having to cook. While we were eating, my wife said I was her hero for all the work I did today helping her move the compost. She knows flower gardens aren't my thing in life (I do enjoy the flowers but not the weeding). I told her I like to help her with the heavy work. If we sleep well, we should finish the work by lunchtime tomorrow. I feel pretty good this evening.

I don't plan on running tomorrow or Wednesday but hopefully will on Thursday and Saturday.

Here is a picture that was taken from the web of a wheelbarrow full of compost.

No comments:

Post a Comment