Saturday, June 06, 2009

Mystery Jogger seen on South Jordan Parkway

The following article was written by Aleta Taylor, a member of the South Jordan City Council, and appeared in the South Valley Journal for June 4, 2009. She wrote about a jogger who picked up trash as he ran. Her description, except for the age she ascribed to the runner, fits me to a "T". I do run the Parkway, and I've never seen other runners pick up trash (readers of this blog know I do pick up a lot of trash). I do wear red shorts and a wide-brim hat, and my wife says I have sexy legs. Here is the article.
-------------------------
Some time ago as I ran along our own Jordan River trail I observed a singular phenomenon that reminded me how great it is to be part of this fast growing and diverse city of South Jordan. Up ahead of me I watched a jogger who stopped no less than five times in about a half mile to gather a bit of trash, then carry it with him while he jogged to the next garbage container. Kudos to South Jordan City Parks. There were garbage containers placed about every 200 yards. It wasn't just the fact that he picked up garbage that caught my attention, or even his multiple stops, it was the fact that he must have been in his late eighties or nineties and even with his stops, I never quite caught up to him.

Mr. Jogger in red shorts and safari hat, you inspire me. Yes you! You will always remind me of what is right in South Jordan. Our people really are the salt of the earth, and not just because they enjoy the out-of-doors and sweat a lot, either. I am honored to represent such a diversity of caring individuals and neighborhoods where people pay attention and get involved in the needs of their community.

And, by the way, nice legs, Mr. Mystery Jogger. If I see you again I'll be sure and learn your name. After all, isn't that what it's all about; older people being able to enjoy our community in all its facets with a reasonable expectation of safety and enjoyment? Grab your fishing pole and come sit for a while. This is a great place to live.

3 comments:

  1. Yup, I am POSITIVE she was writing about you...hmm, maybe you should change the title of your blog to "Mr. Nice Legs!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. A celebrity in your own right! Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! That's pretty neat. I guess you could look in your late 80s or early 90s, at least from a distance!

    ReplyDelete