Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I ran .83 miles during my 1.5 mile run/walk

Today I used my GPS to measure the distance I ran, and the number is 0.83 miles or 55% of the run. That is the most I've run during my recovery from the blood clots that attacked me in January. That number shows that my gut-feel estimates of 50% that I've been making are pretty close to the real value. I could tell that I was doing a bit more running this morning.

As I've explained in past posts, I don't push myself to get more distance. I just let my body and legs tell me when to stop running and to walk for a minute or so. I don't experience any pain or soreness, just a tired feeling in my legs. A short walk is sufficient for my legs to recover and to let me run again. Another sign that I'm getting stronger is how I feel when I finish. When I first started jogging earlier this spring, I was pretty tired when I finished the 1.5 miles, even though most of the distance was done via walking. I felt fine this morning and could have gone farther if I had wanted to. However, I don't want to increase my overall distance until I can run all of the 1.5 miles and feel pretty good at the end.

The temperature during my run was in the mid to high 70s (F), and I ran earlier to avoid the high heat that we'll have later this afternoon. It was a pleasant day, not much wind, lots of sun, beautiful clouds, and a great time for a morning jaunt!

I'm doing better in getting my 7 hours of sleep at night, plus an afternoon nap, and that helps my running.

No comments:

Post a Comment