Friday, October 13, 2006

Just like cruising a highway in a new car

I usually do my long run on Saturdays, but due to a hectic schedule tomorrow, I did the run today. I started the run about 5:30 pm and ran for 2 1/2 hours. The last three miles were in the dark. I brought a small LED flashlight with me, but I didn't need to use it. I could faintly see the edges of the path, and I knew the path was smooth. I ran blind, so to speak, but had no problem staying on the path.

My wakeup HR was 48, and I felt great. I let my body go, and it took me at a pretty good clip. I think I would have set a new PB for my 13-mile training run, but I discovered at mile 5 that my stop watch had stopped a couple of miles back. I haven't been using my GPS since I switched to time-based runs, but I may go back to it to have a reliable timer. During the run, I felt like I was in a new car cruising down a highway. It felt natural and satisfying to run mile after mile at a faster pace than I ran just a few months ago.

The temperature when I left home was 62 (F), and it was in the high 40s when I returned. As soon as the sun dipped behind the Oquirrh Mountains, I could feel the air hitting my face begin to drop in temperature. I didn't have a problem with the temperature, though, because I was sweating profusely. However, I cooled off during the short drive home, and when I got out of the car, I was cold. I ate two pieces of hot toast and headed for a hot shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment