Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Why do I run?

I am often asked why I run, especially when people find out that I'm a long-distance runner. Here is my answer. I run because I love the mastery over my body that allows me to run. I run because I love the feeling of running mile after mile as if there were no end to it. I run because it is part of my heritage -- humans were built to run, first to hunt, then to travel, and now to commune. But, most of all, I run because I love to run. It has become part of my nature!

For Love or Money?

3 comments:

  1. Howdy! Nice clip, makes me want to run today AGAIN!! In my case the could call it "For Love or Fancy Medals?" Happy trails, Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually explain [to nonrunners] various complexities of running that I love. Occasional discomfort, some chafing in strange areas, frozen apendages...
    I usually have to stop and just say "you wouldn't understand" =)
    -ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bruce and Ben, nice of you to stop by!

    Yes, people don't understand. People ask me how far I'm running, and after I tell them they always say, "I could never run that far." I wish they would forget about criticizing themselves and just say, "That's great, keep it up!" Maybe someday they'll understand.

    I think golfers must understand, because they seem to be as dedicated as we are, and they continue that dedication throughout their lives.

    ReplyDelete