Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A good 10 miler

I added a mile to my medium run and went for 10 miles. I felt good before, during, and after. I've been getting good sleep during the past week, and my body is finally reacting to that sleep. It was a beautiful day for running: mid 70s (F), sunshine & clouds, dry air -- a great day. No water in the canal, yet.

If I feel fine on Saturday, I'll add a mile to my long run and do 14. Then, next week I'll add a mile to my rest run for 5 and a mile to my long run for 15. That will give me 30 mile weeks, running M, W, Sa for 5, 10, and 15, respectively. At that point, I won't be adding more distance for a while so my body can get used to the new mileage. My friend, Bruce, from Las Vegas and I are planning on running the Great Salt Lake Half Marathon across the causeway to Antelope Island on August 19. After that, I'll add a fourth day (Tuesday), beginning with 1/2 mile and slowly build it up to 5 miles.

I carried both water and lemon-lime Gatorade on this run. I forgot to eat some food before I left, though.

The only disappointment on my run this morning was the diarrhea attack when I was about 2 miles from home. I tried to hold it in, but it came out anyway, and my shorts were quite a mess when I got home. At least, it didn't leak out and run down my legs :)

[later in the day] I was reading a web site about marathon training, and the site said not to try new things during the race but to try them during training runs before the race. The site gave the example of eating food or using sports drink. It gave several effects of food/sports drink that could occur, including diarrhea. Today was the first time I've drunk Gatorade during the run, and maybe that was the cause of my diarrhea. I'll continue drinking it and see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. Howdy! Is Gatorade being served at GSLHF? I might have to train with Gatorade too, it's starting to get hot down here (not Hell, but Las Vegas). I believe Gatorade is the source of your diarrhea as your body isn't accustomed to it yet, eating zip before the run probably didn't help. My secret weapon is I wear "Depends" (just kidding)
    Happy trails, Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bruce, yes I think the Gatorade was the problem. I've drunk a bottle each day since then, and I'll be sure I eat something before I go out tomorrow.

    I just called the Clearfield Recreational Dept. and was told that they will have Gatorade and water available. I asked about pre-registration and was told the lady who handles that will call me back.

    ReplyDelete