Saturday, June 18, 2011

Ran the South Jordan City Summer Fest 5K

Today was the target of my taper-week. I wasn't in very good shape, though. I only had about 5 1/2 hours of actual sleep, and my wakeup heart rate was 62.

At 6:30 AM, the Summer Fest 5K started. During my training I've been running 1 minute and then walking 1 minute, but I knew if I was to beat my time of 48 minutes set last fall, I would have to do more running and less walking. I thus set my timer for 1 minute 30 seconds running and 30 seconds walking. I kept that up for the first mile but realized I couldn't continue that amount of running. I thus cut my running time and lengthened my walking time. I finished in 49 minutes plus some seconds that I don't remember. In retrospect I should have run for 1 minute and walked for 45 seconds. I did get a 2nd place medal for my age division of 65-99. I didn't earn the medal, though, since there were only two of us oldies in the race.

It was a nice day for running. The temperature was probably in the 50s due to the early start of the race. Since I did  lot of walking, I could have worn long pants and not suffered from heat buildup.

Unless the group sponsoring my grandson's swimming classes sponsors another 5K next fall, this is the only race I'll run until next summer. I just run for enjoyment rather than for racing. I do like this particular race, however. The course is on the Jordan River Parkway where I run each week. My wife's niece was at the race, and I talked with two friends who were there. There were about 150 runners in the race.

3 comments:

  1. congratulations Allen! You totally deserved that medal.... you ran that race and came in second in your age group!! Just because others couldn't/didn't, shouldn't detract from your accomplishment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool - and so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete