Monday, June 13, 2011

Began my taper-week with a rest run of 3.2 miles

My wakeup heart rate was 56, and I felt great. I had 7 hours of sleep, and that always makes me feel good when I wake up. I went running (9:30) soon after I got up, because I wanted to miss the hottest part of the day (afternoon). I ran 3.2 miles, and I practiced squatting more and bending my knees more.

The stick that I've used to gauge the level of the river is completely covered with water. Last week the stick was about an inch above the water, so the river height is probably 2-3 inches higher than it was last week. The newspaper said the ski resorts nearby still have at least 10 feet of snow, so there is a lot of melting to take place, and the river will continue to rise. There is a law that prohibits the Jordan River from rising more than a specified amount, and eventually the gates that control the amount of water that leaves Utah Lake and enters the Jordan River will be closed. This means Utah Lake will start to rise, and that may cause flooding of nearby homes. The increase in water that I'm seeing in the Jordan River is small compared to the increases in the Mississippi River, but is is large for Utah, especially in the south end of the Salt Lake Valley. As the Jordan River passes through Salt Lake City, It is significantly higher than it is where I run, because several creeks dump water into the river, and those creeks are at flood-stage due to the melting of the snow.

I saw a lot of red, pink, and yellow blossoms that I haven't seen before. The red and pink blossoms are big (4-5 inches in diameter), and the plants having the blossoms looked like poppy plants. The yellow blossoms are small and look like they come from a weed. The blossoms lasted for about 1/4 mile, and they made a pretty sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment