Thursday, January 22, 2009

Swelling a bit worse when I got up

When I got up this morning the swelling in my feet was a bit worse than it was last night. Also, I had hot spots on the bottom of both feet from, I think the covers being tucked in at the bottom of the bed and thus pulling tight on my toes contributed to the swelling. In the hospital the covers weren't tucked in. I went up the stairs last night and again a few minutes ago, and that is a good sign. All in all, I'm doing fine today. No running, of course. Just walking around the house.

Later: I'm on my way to bed and thought I'd report on my condition. I've been up and down the stairs several times today and have had no problems. I noticed a slight increase in my breathing rate, but it went back to "normal" within a few seconds. I'm able to stand longer and walk longer distances, but my feet are still swollen. Today has been a good day for me.

4 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you had the good sense of making a trip to IHC Instant Care, a blood clot going from your legs to your heart is deadly! Happy to hear you're doing fine now, walking is just what the doctor ordered...literally. Any ideas what's causing the blood clots and swelling feet? You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bruce,

    The first question asked when I entered the ER was if I had recently taken any long flights. I said no. I did say that I frequently sat in front of my computer for 4 or 5 hours without getting up. One doctor, though, wasn't interested in that; he was concerned about longer sessions of inactivity.

    I had a lot of blood clots after my auto accident 4 1/2 years ago. I'm having them again. It may be that my body has a weakness for them. However, I'm forming a habit of getting up every hour or so and walking a bit to get a drink of water, go to the bathroom, etc.

    You probably already do this, but be sure that when you're waiting for fares, don't just sit in your taxi and read or doze. Get up and walk around for a couple of minutes and then get back in the cab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allen,

    good to know that you got yourself looked at quickly, that's an important thing for anyone!
    Glad you are doing better now.

    I had a problem entering your blog onto mine, i hope it is ok to list your blog, mine is on
    http://www.schizophrenicgirlrunning@blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katherine,

    Yes, I'm really glad I went to the hospital as soon as I did. The doctors there said several times that that was a good thing, because they found out about the clots before they went into my lungs.

    I won't be doing any running until the swelling in my feet and legs are down and the clots are gone -- probably several weeks, possible a couple of months. But that's OK. Four years ago when I started running again after my auto accident, I started by doing 1/8 mile, and two years later I was running half marathons. I just take life as it comes and learn and grow from my experiences.

    ReplyDelete