Thursday, January 01, 2009

My first run of the year -- 10 great miles!

I ran my medium run of 10 miles this afternoon. The sky was overcast due to expected rain or snow tonight, but the temperature was in the high 30s (F), and ice on the path was melting. Most of the path was either free from ice or had large patches of asphalt without ice, so I was able to run without much risk of slipping. There were only a few places where I stopped and walked over ice. On the way out, the ice was hard and slippery, but on the way back it was soft and slushy. Interesting how much two hours of warmer air can soften ice.

My wakeup heart rate was 53 this morning. I was a little tired during the run, but not nearly as much as last Monday. At the end of the 10 miles I felt better than I did on Monday after 3.5 miles. I was the only runner on the path. I did see two walkers, but I guess most of the "regulars" were home in their warm houses.

2 comments:

  1. Allen, Happy New Year! I ran across your post as I searched "does running get any easier?' I am encouraged by you and your distance runs! I just completed a 10K in November and I started running in May 08,so it has taken me all that time to build up...I run slow, and it still seems tiring at times. I want to be able to run at least a 1/2 marathon, so I can see it is possible. I will check your blog from time to time. Blessings in 2009, Colleen from Sacramento

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Congratulations on your 10K. Seven months to run 6 miles is good progress. Our bodies take time to build up strength, and running lots of miles (known as long slow distance or LSD) is the key to developing endurance. As you run miles and miles and miles, your body gets stronger, and it does get easier.

    In addition to this blog, I have a tutorial site that has a lot of nice articles about running.

    http://runninginjuryfree.org

    ReplyDelete