Thursday, January 08, 2009

A flock of geese was foraging on a large lawn for food

On my way back I saw a flock of geese (perhaps 100 or so) foraging on a large lawn that surrounds a picnic area. This was the third time this winter that I've seen them foraging that way. I don't know if they were looking for insects or for grass. They are beautiful birds. Here is a picture from the web showing geese foraging on a lawn. Click for a larger image.



Mallard ducks come in two colors: brown females and brightly colored males. The geese, however, seem to only come in one color. I've probably seen up close a dozen or so flocks of geese, and they have all looked alike. I don't know if this means they were all males, or if the males and females have the same coloring. (later) Here is a picture I just found on the web showing, I assume, the parents of two goslings. The parents have the same coloring. This makes more sense than having just males foraging on the lawn.



The most spectacular view I've had of a flock of geese was the time a few years ago they flew over me about 15 feet above me. It was thrilling to be so close to them! Here is a picture from the web of geese flying. Beautiful birds!


No comments:

Post a Comment