Friday, January 23, 2009

Had blood drawn for my INR test

My wife has been sleeping for the past 24 hours with a stomach flu or something. She felt better this morning and drove me to a clinic to have blood taken for my INR reading. INR is the number that tells the doctor how much Coumidan I have in my body.

My feet and legs are still swollen, due to the 17 pounds of water that I gained while in the hospital. I'll be going to a special clinic to help me get rid of the swelling. Until the swelling is gone, I won't be doing any running at all, and when I do start running I'll ease into it. I am walking today better than in the past, and I'm handling the stairs OK. Each day I walk a bit better.

3 comments:

  1. Gainning 17 pounds of water would make me look like the Goodyear Blimp!! I have no doubts you'll be cautious about returning to running.

    Cab business has been slow and have had plenty of time to stretch my legs and even walk between fares.

    By the way, I quoted you in my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My legs look like Goodyear blimps, two of them :) I've been referring to swollen feet, but my legs are swollen clear up to my groin. Oh well, this too will pass.

    Quoting me in your blog was nice, thanks Bruce. I hope the quote helps someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allen,

    Ughhh! I just found a info on Bruce’s blog! So sorry to hear about your condition!
    BTW, you're lucky you didn't get a massive clots in your lungs. You know what would that mean.
    So deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a very serious condition! The most severe complication is a pulmonary embolism which occurs when a blood clot breaks free from its location in the wall of a vein and travels to the lung.
    Luckily you got only some small ones that were causing you get tired after just a few seconds of activity.
    Now I'm trying to figure out why did you get blood clots in your legs (veins) at first place?
    Maybe this is due to genetics. How about blood clots in your family?
    As well standing or sitting for a few hours without moving is definitely a contributive factor especially in case of previous injury to a vein.
    Did you have injury to a vein while having car accident?
    Such an injury can cause a narrowing or blockage in a vein where it then gathers blood and clots.

    However, the good news is you're not expected to have any complications due to early and proper medical intervention.

    Hang in buddy!


    Bosco

    ReplyDelete