Saturday, October 20, 2007

My plans for next week

This week was a recovery week from the stress of moving a million boxes for my son. My immediate goal this week was to get my mileage back to my pre-box mileage. I accomplished that goal in my run today.

During the past six months, I've been running reduced mileage while I focused on running a faster LSD pace. Now, I'm ready to get my mileage back to the 30 miles/week that I need to train for the Salt Lake City Half-Marathon next April. Next week I'll run 5 miles on Monday and Tuesday and add a mile for 6 miles on Wednesday. If I feel fine on Saturday, I'll add a mile there for 6 on that day. Then, on subsequent weeks I'll add another mile to the two runs, until I get Wednesday's medium run up to 10 miles and Saturday's long run up to 13 miles. During all of this, I hope to keep my faster LSD pace.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting your mileage back to pre-box mileage! You're back to full steam faster than I expected!!

    Looks like you have a good plan for your upcoming training for the Salt Lake City Half-Marathon. I would suggest a couple of smaller goals before April as it's a long time to stay focused on one goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bruce,

    Yes, I'm pleased with my recovery so far. I'm looking forward to getting my distance back up to 13 miles and also having a faster LSD pace.

    You have a good point about smaller goals. Rather than have a race as a goal, I set weekly goals on what I will do for training. In the past those training goals have been sufficient to keep my interest high. To me, the running is the big thing. I don't run to lose weight or to have a healthier body. I run because I enjoy it and look forward to it, and my weekly training goals have the same attraction to me that a race might have for someone else.

    Now that I've said that, I will confess that I'll probably run a 5K or maybe a 10K before April. I didn't do a lot of racing when I lived in Massachusetts, due to my not running on Sunday and most races were on that day, as well as my not wanting to travel much to go to a race. Now, that I'm retired and have more time on my hands, I'm enjoying doing some racing.

    ReplyDelete