Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Ran 1 mile just before dark

Today was my first run since my surgery last week for a Basal Cell skin cancer. I went 1 mile, and almost all of it was running. I did several short walking breaks, but I was pleased that I ran most of the mile. My wakeup heart rate the past couple of days has been 57. We had rain this afternoon, and there was a cold 10 - 15 mph wind blowing from the north. The temperature was in the mid 40s (F) during my run. I felt pretty good during the run. I'm using this week to ease back into my running.

I'm finding out that as I get older, I have less tolerance for cold weather. I used to wear running shorts anytime the temperature was above freezing. Now, I wear long pants until the temperature gets into 40s and during the late fall, winter, and early spring into the 50s. I'm also running slower than I used to, and my body doesn't generate as much heat at that slow speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment