Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I had the greatest run this morning

Today was a great day for running, and I had the greatest run that I've had in a long time. I did the 2.2 miles again, and my legs felt great the whole time. I've been running and walking about equal distances, but today I ran significantly more than I have in past runs. Instead of a 1:1 ratio of running to walking, the ratio was probably 1.5:1 or so, meaning I ran about 1.3 miles and walked about .9 miles.

The shade temperature was in the high 60s (F), the sky was blue with no clouds, and there was quite a lot of shade from the Russian Olive trees that border the river. A wonderful day!

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is inspiring me to get back into running. I used to be a regular runner, then developed knee issues (mild arthritis under the kneecap) and a few other aches and pains. I'm 46, but feel like I'm at an age where I "should" walk instead of run. But, maybe not. And, maybe it's okay to "just" run/walk two miles. Why do I feel like if I can't do at least 3 or 4 miles, it doesn't count?? Crazy! Thanks for sharing your experiences with the rest of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BB, to go from 2 miles to 3 or 4 miles, try adding about a city block of walking and do that until you feel comfortable with it. Then add another block, and so forth until you've added a mile of walking. By adding small amounts each week or two, you can increase your distance, and your body will become stronger such that you can do the extra mile. The key is to add small amounts and add them infrequently after your body has adjusted to the previous increase.

    After you feel comfortable with the new mile, you can slowly swap small distances of running for the walking. However, there is no shame if you do all walking and no running. Walking is a lot less stressful on your body than running. The only people who should run are those who really enjoy it and who can do it without injury. Everyone else should walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allen,
    You are my guiding light. My hip pain has disappeared. I have run - actually run- at least 1/2 mile each of the last few days. Keep writing!!!
    Joe

    ReplyDelete