Saturday, September 19, 2009

Another great 2.2 mile run/walk

We're having a cold front pass through, and the temperature when I hit the trail at 9:20 am was in the 60s (F). A great temperature, lots of shade, and even some ducks quacking in the river. I ran more during this run than I did on Wednesday. My body felt good (wakeup heart rate was 54), my legs felt good, and I just kept running.

I ate three apples from "the" tree. Eating those apples is becoming a ritual with me. The apples are close to being ripe and are a mixture of green and red. I don't know what kind of apples they are, but they are crisp and juicy. Eating them hasn't been a problem with my stomach, and I hope they might give me some energy. Probably not during the run, since it takes about three hours for food to leave ones stomach and enter the small intestines, but hopefully more energy later in the day. When I do these early runs, I run on an empty stomach, except for a few handfuls of dry cereal that I eat just before I leave home, and I eat breakfast when I return home. I do drink a couple of glasses of water before I leave.

2 comments:

  1. Another walk/run in the drizzle for me and the dogs this morning. I don't eat before running either, though I try to drink at least one glass of water. I can't eat before or during a run, makes me feel "ugh." Had two lowfat Nutrigrain waffles with fruit after getting back though. That seems to work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I mentioned in my other post, I eat a few handfuls of dry cereal just before I leave. If I eat a regular meal, I do it 2-3 hours before I leave, and that gives my body time to start putting the food in my small intestines. It is good to eat some protein soon after finishing a run.

    ReplyDelete