Monday, September 14, 2009

I added 10% to my run/walk (2.2 miles)

Today was a great running day! My wakeup heart rate was 53, I had lots of sleep over the weekend and I felt great. I was out relatively early while the temperature was still in the low 70s (F). I did 2.2 miles, about half running and half walking. The sky was sunny with fluffy clouds. We are, though, expecting thunder showers this afternoon and tomorrow.

There is a 5K steeplechase run that I'd like to do at the end of the month. No timing, no medals, just a fun run. I'll have to see how my running goes between now and then. Most of the people I know who will be in the run are walkers, so my combination of running and walking won't be too noticeable.

I had my usual "feast" of three apples from the old tree near the path. The three apples are small and probably amount to one "normal" sized apple.

Later: We did have a thunder storm this afternoon. The sky was dark, lots of thunder and lightning, some rain, and some wind. I was glad I ran earlier in the morning. I enjoy being in a summer rain, but I don't run during thunder storms. Lightning is something I stay away from. If I am in a run and I see lightning, I count seconds until I hear the thunder from that lightning. If the time is 5 seconds or less, I head for a shelter. That 5 seconds means the lightning was only a mile away, and lightning can easily move a mile for the next strike.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. You really inspire me.I also power walk and run 2 miles 4-5X a week. My husband is also an avid runner. He runs 3-4 miles a day 5-6X a week. Keep it up !!! You are an inspiration to us !!!! Good luck on the 5K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome and encouraging! Thanks for your inspiration and best of luck on your next run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing the Air Force half marathon this weekend and will be walking it with running now and then. I always wonder what people think, but then I get there and I don't care. :)

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete