Friday, December 19, 2008

Ran for 90 minutes, about 7 miles

Just as I left home to go running, it started to snow. By the time I reached the Jordan River Parkway it was snowing heavily, and I decided not to run on the path and went home. Later in the evening I went to the Recreational Center of my city and used a treadmill for half an hour. In 36 years of running, this was my first use of a treadmill. I found that I was taking short steps, and my pace for the same comfort level was quite a bit slower than on the roads. I expect that as I got used to the treadmill, I would take larger steps. After I left the treadmill, I ran around the 1/10 mile track that loops around the rec center. Because short tracks are hard on ones knees, due to the frequent turns at the four corners of the loop, I reversed direction every 2 or 3 loops.

I found the treadmill and the indoor track were very boring, and I'm not anxious to run them very often. They are, though, a good backup for use on stormy days when it isn't wise to run outside. I enjoy running in the snow, but I don't like to run on slick paths. I do have my ice cleats from last winter, and I'll need to use them when the Parkway path or the city streets are slick.

2 comments:

  1. Keep on Running Strong. wishing you a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.
    Jimmy Jacobs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, first time on the treadmill although you've been running for 36 years has to be a record of that somewhere! As you know, I'm forced on the treadmill during the hot summer months in Vegas and now I'm on the treadmill this winter as the mill's platform is cushioned and level for my sore right knee. FRUSTRATING!!

    ReplyDelete