Thursday, December 04, 2008

A great 5-mile rest run

It was dark when I left home for my 5-mile run. My wakeup heart rate was 51 this morning, and I felt fine during the day. I only took two walking/standing breaks during the five miles. The first break was for 2 or 3 minutes while I talked with a man installing a chain link fence. That was after 1 1/4 miles. At 2 1/2 miles I took a 20 second walking break due to a slight pain in my right knee (not an injury pain, just a stiff muscle pain). I started walking as soon as the pain appeared, and the pain went away as soon as I stopped running. I walked for 20 seconds or so and then ran the rest of the distance. I felt strong during the run, and enjoyed being out.

I like running at night. People are gone and I have the trail all to myself. The lights in nearby buildings and distant houses glow like beacons in a dark night. The world seems peaceful, and I seem at peace with the world and with myself. I'm a night owl and have always enjoyed the nights. As a teenager I would stay up late contacting ham radio stations all over the world and would then sleep in. I still stay up late but don't sleep in as well as I used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment