Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My feet are stiff after last night's run

I've mentioned before that I was born with stiff joints and stiff muscles. My condition is known as the "squeaky door" syndrome. Just as a door with very rusty hinges is hard to get moving but once it moves it moves more freely, my muscles are stiff when I first get up but feel better as I move around. I got up a couple of times during the night to get a drink of water, and my feet were very stiff when I walked into the bathroom. They felt better on my way back to bed. They aren't used to the 9 miles that I ran last night. After a couple of weeks of that distance, my feet will feel better. This is nothing to worry about -- just the way my body is built.

This squeaky door problem is the reason I started running many years ago. I've always been active and done a lot of walking and hiking. But, after finishing college, I bought a car and began driving instead of walking as much. Over a period of a couple of years, the muscles in my feet deteriorated and starting hurting when I was on my feet a lot. After a day of yard work, while I was in Phoenix, my feet would hurt for two days. The doctor told me to do anything I wanted that would strengthen the muscles in my feet. I began running. My feet are still stiff after I'm on my feet a lot, but I no longer have the pain in my feet. I also use a homeopathic remedy called Rhus Tox when my feet are stiff. That remedy really helps a lot. It is made from diluted poison ivy.

2 comments:

  1. Diluted poison ivy!! Gosh, where do you find these homeophatic remedies anyways!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is how I found Rhus Tox for my feet.

    Homeopathic remedies are controversial because they are highly diluted, and people say there is nothing left in the remedy. In addition, the issue is whether the body reacts differently to diluted remedies vs. stronger remedies.

    ReplyDelete