Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I did a tired 5-mile rest run

My sleeping schedule has been really messed up for the past 10 or so days, and I've been going on 4-5 hours of sleep a night. It caught up with me today. I knew I was in trouble when I took my first walking break after only 1/8 mile and a second walking break about 1/3 mile later. After I warmed up, though, I was able to go half a mile between breaks. As I ran, I had to make a decision about finishing the 5 miles or aborting the run. I was running, more of a jog, pretty slow, and I decided to finish the distance by taking walking breaks when I needed them.

I had planned on going out earlier in the day and thus didn't eat breakfast. However, I did eat lunch and tried to take a nap (without success). I then went running in the late afternoon, and the only food I had all day was the lunch. I think the lunch probably gave me about enough calories to compensate for those burned during my run, so I went the whole day without consuming calories for my basic bodily functions. After I returned from the run I ate a banana and drank a glass of orange juice. Not long after I ate that food, some friends came by to visit, and I was shivering while talking with them. I wrapped a wool afghan around me while we talked, and that helped. By the time they left, I felt warm, probably due to the banana and juice. In looking back on all of this, today was a real bummer. I have no one to blame but myself for messing up my sleeping schedule (staying up late and not being able to sleep after the sun comes up) and not eating much.

No comments:

Post a Comment