Friday, November 21, 2008

Another night of good sleep

When my body gets into a habit of sleeping less than seven hours (waking up early and not going back to sleep) there is a certain procedure that I go through to get my body back into a normal sleep routine of 7 - 71/2 hours.
  • I change my behavior and go to bed earlier so my 7 hours will finish about an hour or less after daylight. When I was younger I had no difficulty staying up late (I'm a night owl) and sleeping in until 10 or 11, but now I wake up about an hour after sun rise regardless of how long I've slept. I really enjoy doing projects late at night, and that gets me into trouble with my sleeping.

  • I stay in bed for 7 hours, even if I'm awake. This helps, I assume, my body adjust to being in bed longer.

  • I take after about five hours a homeopathic remedy called Nux Vomica to help my mind settle down and quite thinking of everything. That remedy really helps. I drink two glasses of water during the night, so I'm up several times going to the bathroom, and I time my use of Nux with one of those trips. I usually go right back to sleep after I finish a bathroom trip, but when I've been suffering from a sleep deficit, I stay awake after about 4 or 5 hours of sleep.

    I take a half-hour nap during the day.

1 comment:

  1. Boy, sleep is SO important. I think a lack of sleep last week was making me sick and I was really feeling "off" on some of my runs. I made it a point to "catch up" this week!

    ReplyDelete