Saturday, March 01, 2008

Ended recovery week with a 8-mile run in the snow

I ran in the late afternoon, and when I left home it was just starting to rain. The air temperature was 40 (F). The rain slowly changed to snow, and by the time I reached my 4-mile turn-around, the storm was all snow. The good news was that the air and ground temperatures were above freezing, and the snow melted as soon as it hit the ground. I thus had no problems with traction on the path. I noticed during my last mile that the snow was collecting on the grass/dirt next to the path, and I noticed during my last half mile that it was starting to collect on the path. The path was slushy but not slick during that half-mile. When I got home, the air temperature was 32 (F). During the run, there was a 3-5 mph wind, a tailwind on the way out and a headwind on the way back. Thanks to the wide brimmed hat that I was wearing, I didn't have a lot of problems with snow blowing in my face, although I did have to look at the ground in front of me to keep the snow out of my face.

My nylon pants and jacket need to be sprayed with Silicone, and they didn't keep the water out. I was wearing three layers on my main body, including a thick, long sleeved cotton T-shirt, and all of my clothing was wet. However, thanks to my body heat I felt fine during the run and just noticed that my legs were getting slightly cold during the last couple of miles.

As soon as I got home, I took a hot shower, dressed, and put on a down vest. However, I started shivering uncontrollably, the first state of Hypothermia. I ate supper, and as soon as I started eating I stopped shivering and felt fine. During the run I burned close to 1000 calories. The only food I had had during the day was whole wheat pancakes for breakfast and a couple of cheese sandwiches during the afternoon for lunch. I felt fine during the run and had a pretty good energy level. However, the loss of 1000 calories was enough to cause my core temperature to dip below 95 (F), and the shivering began. My normal temperature is 96-97 (F), so it didn't take much loss of heat to put me into the shivering stage.

Assuming that I feel fine during the coming week, I'll add a mile on Wednesday and a mile on Saturday (actually Friday this week), giving me a 5, 8, 9 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment