Saturday, February 09, 2008

A better than great 7-mile run

I ran 7 miles on the Jordan River Parkway today, and it was a great, no, better than great, run! I not only added a mile to my Saturday run, having added a mile on Thursday too, but I ran it at a significantly faster pace.

During the first 1 1/2 miles while I was warming up, I ran a pace of 13-14. Then I ran the next 4 1/2 miles at a pace of 12:30 - 13. During the last mile, I ran the first half around 11:30, and I ran the last half a few minutes under a pace of 11 minutes. I had a high energy level during the whole run and felt fine during and afterwards.

The shade temperature was about 36 (F). I started the run with three layers but took off my nylon wind breaker and did most of the run with two layers. It was a little after 2 pm when I began the run.

2 comments:

  1. You're really improving, undoubtedly the weather and experimenting with different techniques (arm swing) is having an impact, but your consistency is still the key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The key thing I go by in deciding how hard to push is my energy level. It has taken me the past three months to regain the energy level I had before my injury in November, and that injury was a minor injury. I've been able to run during the three months but at a low energy-level. Yesterday I felt great, and for a few seconds I had the feeling I've had in the past like I was cruising down a highway in my car. For me, that feeling is my "runner's high". I don't have that feeling very often, and it is nice when it comes!

    ReplyDelete