Thursday, August 10, 2006

My race strategy for the GSL Half Marathon

I've also been thinking about my race strategy for the GSL. During my training runs, I've been running of 11+ minute miles, and my average pace has been slightly above 12 minutes (I've been taking one-minute walking breaks every mile). During the race, I'd like to take fewer walking breaks, just taking them at the water tables. I'm thinking of running the first mile at a 12 minute pace to complete my warm up, and then going to an 11 minute pace for the rest of the race, and going a bit faster during the last half mile. This would give me a total time of about 2 hours 23 minutes. My PB for a 13-mile training run was 2:41, so a 2:23 would be an decrease in time of 18 minutes or slightly more than a minute per mile. Can I make that increase? I don't know, but it's worth a try if I feel good. I'll reevaluate this strategy on Friday of next week.

I'm not sure how much sleep I'll get before the race. I have to be up at 4 am and out of the house at 4:30. I usually don't sleep well before important activities due to anticipation-stress. At my age, I need that sleep...

Training Graphs

No comments:

Post a Comment