Monday, August 14, 2006

Another change to my race strategy for Saturday

My wakeup HR was 47 again this morning. I ran an easy, comfortable 2 miles. During the first half mile, I ran a pace of about 12:30. By the end o that mile, I was running a pace of about 12 minutes. After another half mile, my pace was at 11:30, and by two miles, my pace was a bit below 11 minutes. I ran the two miles at the same exertion-level, so as my body warmed up I automatically ran faster. Because of this, I'm changing my strategy for Saturday to use the first two miles as a "natural" warmup, as follows:

1/2 mile @ 12:30
1/2 mile @ 12:00
1/2 mile @ 11:30
1/2 mile @ 11:00

Depending how I feel, I'll like to run the last two miles at 10:30 or maybe 10:00.

The forecast for Friday night in Clearfield is a low of 64 (F), so the early morning temperature for the race on Saturday should be in the mid 60s to the mid 70s with sunshine. The early morning sun will be at our backs and shouldn't be a problem.

Training Graphs

1 comment:

  1. Howdy! Mid 60's weather is going to feel like a cold wave!! I'm now in my taper and I'm so full of energy I feel like I'm going to explode...my wife probably can't wait until I leave too. I'm not sure how my body will react to being on the roads instead of a treadmill, high altitude, downhill running that can't be duplicated on the treadmill, and current fitness. I might strive to keep my heart rate around 70-75% of MHR in case I'm breathing heavy due to the altitude or just go for broke and have my training partner (Garmin 201) keep me close to 8 minute per mile pace. Decisions, decisions. Happy trails, Bruce

    ReplyDelete