Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The 5-miler was fine

My wakeup HR was 47, and I ran 5 miles on the Jordan River Parkway. I was late getting out, and the temperature was in the low 80s (F). Most of the run was in the direct sun, and I drank 24 oz of liquid (my normal ratio of half water and half Gatorade). Because I was well hydrated, I didn't mind the heat at all, even though the sun burns more than it did when I was in Massachusetts. The difference is that here I'm at an elevation of 4800 feet while in Massachusetts I was at a typical elevation of 300 feet.

When I run the Great Salt Lake Half Marathon next week, I will be at an elevation of 4200 feet. I don't know if going down to that "lower" elevation will give me much additional oxygen, but I "hope" it does help a bit. After I had been in Utah for about four years, I went to Connecticut for my daughter's graduation from college, and I found it much easier to run there than it was here in the Great Basin. Getting sufficient oxygen is the name of the game in running long slow distance.

Training Graphs

No comments:

Post a Comment