Thursday, October 25, 2012

I had a really good 80 minute run/walk

I left home about 5:30 for my second run/walk this week. The temperature was in the high 30s (F) when I left. I didn't check the temperature when I returned home, but it was snowing quite hard. I increased both the run and walk segments of my run from 50 seconds to 55 seconds, a 10% increase. I ran south from 100th South on the Jordan River Parkway, and I felt great during the run -- a relatively good energy level, and I didn't feel tired during the run and took no rest breaks. I completed 4.5 miles. The sky was cloudy, although there were patches of blue sky here and there. There was a scattering of snow falling when I started my run, but the rest of the run was without snow and with times of sun and times of shade. The sun was setting behind the Oquirrh Mountains when I reached my turn-around, and I finished the run a few minutes before it became dark. After I completed the run, I spent a few minutes stretching and then walked a short distance to my car. It was just starting to snow as I approached the car, and by the time I reached home, it was a heavy snow. It apparently didn't snow for very long, because the sidewalks outside have just a very light covering of snow.

I wore long pants and my normal 3 layers during the run, but I had no gloves and no hat. Except for my hands, I felt fine while I was outside. When I first start to run, my body diverts blood from my limbs to my body-core to keep my internal organs warm. When I was younger (my 40s and 50s), my hands would warm up after about a mile of running, but I've noticed during recent years, that my hands remain cold during the run, one of the trials of getting older, I suppose.

I've been running in the iZUMI shoes that I received for testing a couple of years ago. Today, though, I wore my LOCO shoes, because I wanted to try a pair of OrothoLite insoles. I put one in the right shoe and left the original insole in the left shoe. See my runninginjuryfree.org blog for my report on the OrthoLite insoles. I didn't use the iZUMI shoes because they already have OrthoLite insoles in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment