Monday, October 15, 2012

A nice 60 minute run/walk

I just returned from a nice 60 minute run/walk in which I covered 3.27 miles. Today was almost a perfect day. The temperature was in the high 50s to low 60s, not much wind, and beautiful clouds in the sky. I only ran once last week, because my wakeup pulse rate went up to 63. Today, it was 58. I felt fine during the first 2 miles, but I got a bit tired during the last mile. Not so tired that I would take a rest-break or abort the run, just a bit lower in my energy level.

When I parked my car, I saw other cars coming into the parking lot. People walked from the cars to the path, and I realized that cadets from the Police Academy were coming to take their qualifying run. They have to run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. The officials at the Academy have marked 0.75 miles with a green line across the path and the word POST next to the line. That is the turn-around point for the qualifying test. I started my run before the cadets, and I was about 1/8 mile from the green line when the first two cadets passed me. I was past the green line before other cadets arrived, and I never saw them. I went to the tunnel under 106th South and saw that the path was flooded by rain water, so I turned around. By the time I reached the green line, the three officials (wearing red T-shirts) were gone, and when I reached the parking lot, all of the cars that brought the cadets were gone, too. I finished my run by going north about 0.5 miles and back.

South Jordan City has turned off the water fountains, so during the winter if I need water during my workouts, I'll have to carry it. If I have a good drink of water before I leave home, I shouldn't need any water during my workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment