Monday, January 23, 2012

A great 60-minute run after skin cancer surgery

I ran/walked for 60 minutes this morning and completed 3.35 miles. I could tell that I was going a bit faster than I've been doing, and my mileage shows that. As I've explained before, I don't push for any particular pace; I just let my body control the pace. During the first 1.5 miles, I used my run/walk routine of 3 minutes running and 40 seconds walking. During the remainder of the run, I kept the 3 minutes of running and walked about a minute. It's now in the late afternoon, and my wife and I just returned from a fast walk around the block, about 0.6 miles, giving me not quite four miles for the day.

The sky was cloudy and there was a 5 or so mph wind with gusts up to about 10 mph during my run/walk. The temperature was in the high 30s (F), and it was a nice day to be outside.

Today is the two-week anniversary of my Basal Cell skin cancer surgery. When I went in for surgery, the cancer looked like a small pimple on my lip. However, the cancer had spread from my lip about an inch up my cheek, and four Mohs layers were required to remove all of the cancer. The good news is that the cancer had spread into my cheek but didn't go deep enough to get into the muscle of my face.

I didn't do any running during the first week after the surgery, and last week I only did small amounts of running. Today is the first day since the surgery of good running and walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment