Saturday, January 14, 2012

Another hour walk

My wife walked for 60 minutes. I walked at a faster pace than I've used during this week. We parked by the fishing ponds in South Jordan and walked south for half an hour and then returned. This took us across a foot-bridge next to the new bridge at 11400 South and down the Parkway path on the Draper City side of the Jordan River. My wife had never walked that part of the path, and this gave her a new experience.

I'll begin running again on Monday. I'll continue with my 3 minutes of running and 40 seconds of jogging. To help me regain my distance, on Monday I'll only do one mile. On Wednesday I'll do two miles, and on Saturday I'll do three miles. During the next week, I'll work up to five miles, and on the week after that I'll see if I can do my normal 3, 5, 7 (15) miles for the week. Younger folks would go right back to the 15-mile weeks their first week of running, but at my age I'm taking it slower so I don't abuse my body.

2 comments:

  1. I know it's nice to be able to get out there and do something, even if you can't run. I walked 55 minutes in sunny 30 degree weather today, and it was great. I can't really run anymore because the pounding apparently aggravates the degenerative disks in my neck, and my arms and legs tend to go numb...not good. Walking isn't the same as running, but it still feels good to be out there. I walk about a 15 minute mile. Good luck with your continued recovery and return to running next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda,

    Walking is wonderful exercise. I tell people that if they're really excited about running, then they should run. Otherwise, they should walk, cycle, swim, etc. We each have to find the thing that really excites us. By doing that, we have a natural motivation to keep with it.

    ReplyDelete