Friday, October 07, 2011

Ate too much before I ran

I left home hoping to do a 140 minute long run. Instead, I did about 70 minutes and ran about 3.5 miles. My wakeup heart rate was 55, 4 beats higher that it was on Wednesday.I ate breakfast of two Norwegian pancakes, and I had a lunch of peanut butter sandwiches, thinking I would take a nap before I ran. I tried but didn't sleep during my brief "nap", and I got up and went running. I knew it would be cold outside, and I wore my nylon wind breaker. I also wore running shorts, which was a mistake. I should have worn long pants.

When I started running, I could tell that I had eaten too much, or the wrong type of food. I couldn't breath very well, and I had to run slower and take bigger breaths. In addition, it was raining (light) during my run, and I was cold and couldn't get warm due to my slow speed and a cold wind that was blowing. The temperature was in the mid 40s (F), not awfully cold for running but cold for slow jogging and walking. After I returned home, I took a hot bath to get warm, but I felt cold during the evening. In addition, my stomach didn't feel very well, but it's feeling better now as I prepare for bed.

All things considered, it was not an enjoyable day.

2 comments:

  1. What a bummer! Running cold is very un-pleasant and I'm sure the risks of injury are much higher when muscles are stiff. Maybe it was best that the weather held you back a bit on this particular day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought about the risk of injury on a cold day. You have a good point. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete