Monday, April 18, 2011

Nothing like running in the rain

I ran my weekly 5-mile rest run this morning, and it was one of the best runs I've had in the past month. I had a good energy level during the run, alternating 1 minute running and 1 minute walking, and I kept a pretty constant pace during the running segments, probably running around 14 minutes per mile. It rained (sometimes a drizzle and sometimes a light rain) during the whole run. The temperature was around 50 (F).

As I've mentioned in past posts, my nylon jacket needs to be sprayed with Silicone because it doesn't repel water very well, and when I finished, my Pearl iZUMi shirt was damp. I'm glad I didn't run longer, because I was starting to get cold due to a stronger breeze that came in during the last part of the run. As soon as I got home, I jumped into a hot shower and enjoyed the heat. However, I drained the water tank, and when the water started to get cooler, I got out. I ate a bowl of hot oatmeal for breakfast, and I've been comfortable during the day. I wore running shorts during the run, but my legs didn't feel cold. I've never had problems with my legs getting cold. In Massachusetts, I would wear shorts until the temperature got down to freezing. I remember one run in shorts while the temperature was down to 27. Now that I'm older, I switch to long pants when the temperature is in the low 40s.

There is still water in the tunnel under 106th South but not as much as in the past few days. I guess the two pumps that are running 24/7 are slowly draining the tunnel. A lot of water, though, is coming into the tunnel through several pipes along the west wall of the tunnel that catch water draining from the ground around the tunnel.

2 comments:

  1. Really you have done a good job. The written style is very prompt and the highly practical manners. So fruitful for us. Your blog is refreshing, but I wish one could find more content, though. I especially liked your comments. I didn't run longer, because I was starting to get cold due to a stronger breeze that came in during the last part of the run. As soon as I got home, I jumped into a hot shower and enjoyed the heat. However, I drained the water tank, and when the water started to get cooler, I got out. I ate a bowl of hot oatmeal for breakfast, and I've been comfortable during the day. I wore running shorts during the run, but my legs didn't feel cold. I've never had problems with my legs getting cold. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. You said you would like to find more content. If you're referring to running-content, see my training blog. That blog has a lot of detail about running, and the focus is on running injury-free. In oldmanrunning, I'm trying to teach the basics of running via my own experiences. In runninginjuryfree, I'm trying to teach the basics of running via tutorial articles.

    ReplyDelete