Monday, April 04, 2011

A new week, an old 5-mile run

I ran south of 106th South and completed my 5-mile course. While going out, there was a brisk headwind with gusts up to 15 mph. I was looking forward to having a tailwind coming back, but, as often happens, the wind died down, and I only had a few gusts of tailwind. I wore my long pants and three layers, and I felt fine going out due to the headwind taking heat away from my body. Coming back, though, I was too warm, and I took off my windbreaker during the last half-mile. There was a lot of sunshine, and the temperature was in the high 40s (F). The ground is covered with the snow we had a couple of days ago, but the path was clear and dry.

I've noticed that after about 2 miles, my legs start getting tired, and I've changed to walking about 10 seconds or so before the timer beeped. I decided to change the timer to reduce the time I run, and I now have the timer set for 1 minute running and 1 minute walking. By running a bit less, I hope I won't get as tired.

I passed a herd of cows grazing in a field. At the same time, I passed two walkers going the opposite direction, and the man said I was like that black calf we saw in the field -- running around the country. The man was an older man, like me, and he gave me a nice compliment.

2 comments:

  1. That's very nice. I hope to see more of this in the future. It's nice to see a man of relatively advanced age still doing runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's great that men of this age still active. That requires some respect.

    ReplyDelete