Monday, December 31, 2007

A nice but too long 4.8 mile run

I ran 4.8 miles along city streets. I didn't go on the Jordan River Parkway due to the path likely being covered with snow. We've had light snow for several days, and the day time temperature has been cool enough that the snow hasn't melted. So today I ran along the long north-south street that I used a couple of years ago. The street itself was clear of snow and ice due to salting of the road, and there wasn't a lot of traffic on the road. The temperature during my run was about 33 or5 34 (F), and the sky was partly cloudy with lots of sun.

My path going out was around 16 with downhill excursions to 13-14. Coming back, though, I was getting tired, and my pace was around 18. My leg-movement feels really sluggish, and I think I'll need a number of runs to get my pace back to its normal 10:30.

I think it's time to switch to a time-based measurement of my run instead of a distance-based method. Before my accidents two months ago I ran a lot of 5-mile distances, but during my recovery, my pace has been significantly slower, meaning that 5-miles is taking a lot longer. Today, the 4.8 miles took me 1 hour 28 minutes, including a 1/3 mile walk at the beginning and the end and only one walking break during the run at the turn-around point. My body right now isn't ready for a run longer than 45 minutes to an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment