Saturday, May 29, 2021

Weekly walking summary -- 5.525 miles this week

Monday. Judy and I walked the east loop, and I continued to the corner and back for 0.4 miles of additional distance. Judy didn't walk the additional distance because she was working in her garden. We left home about 1:30 pm for our walk, when the temperature was in the mid 50s (F). There was a gusty south breeze of about 10 mph during the gusts. The sun was out most of the time during my walk, and it felt really good when the sun wasn't behind the clouds. I had no jacket on, just a light shirt and my shorts. I also had compression socks on, up to my knees.

I felt pretty good after my walk, but I need to do the the long walk several more times to get really used to the distance. My legs and body felt fine, but my arms got tired, and I stopped a couple of times for a few seconds to rest my arms. I put the break on my walker and stood while I rested my arms. I push the walker while I walk to help me keep my balance while I walk as fast as I can. My plans are to do the long walk two more times this week.

Tuesday. Judy and I walked around the west loop, and then we walked to the Christensen's driveway for extra distance. We walked the whole thing without taking a break. The temperature while we walked was in the high 50s (F), but a strong south wind of about 20 mph was blowing. It is forecast to get colder as the day progresses. I felt pretty good at the end of our walk. My arms got a bit tired but not as tired as they did yesterday.

Wednesday. Judy and I walked around the east block. Judy stopped walking and began working in her garden, and I continued walking to the corner and back. The sky was partly sunny, and the temperature during our walk was in the 50s (F) when we left home and probably in the 60s when I returned home. This was the same route and distances that we used on Monday, and I will walk the same route on Friday. I felt pretty good after completing my walk. The temperature didn't get colder as the day progressed, even though the forecast was different. My arms got a little tired, but they felt OK at the end of the walk.

Thursday.  I walked the east loop and then went to the Christensen's driveway and back, while Judy was running errands. I didn't check the temperature, but it was hot!

I went walking about 12:30 pm. There was no breeze blowing that I could detect. I felt fine after my walk, tired but not fatigued.  I took only one break (standing for 30 seconds) while doing the east loop, and a sitting break for 2-3 minutes before going to the Christensen's driveway and back.

Friday. I walked the east loop and  then went to the corner and back for extra distance. The temperature during my walk was in the mid to high 70s (F). There was a slight north breeze blowing, but the breeze was stronger during my walk to the corner and back. I felt pretty good while walking the east loop, but I got very tired on the extra distance part, especially in my arms. Part of my tiredness came from the hot temperature that was in effect as I was walking. I left home about 10:50 am and walked in the heat of the day (from the skin-cancer viewpoint I should walk earlier in the day or later in the evening when it isn't so hot). I was glad for shade left by trees that covered part of my route

I spent several hours yesterday relearning how to use the timer for the sprinkling system. We now, with the longer garden hose that Judy bought, can water the whole yard without having to use the sprinkling heads. It takes Judy some time to move the hose and sprinkler around, but that is what Judy wanted to do. She uses secondary water instead of culinary water. I set it up so Judy has secondary water for eight hours each day, starting at 8:00 am. I can easily change the system to be for nine hours or more if Judy wants that much time (Judy later said she wanted secondary water for 12 hours). We are getting secondary water from one of the flower boxes on the south side of the house. I used one of the boxes for secondary water, because that box already had a connection for a garden hose. This saved me from having to buy a new sprinkler head that also allowed a garden hose to be connected.

Saturday. I walked around the east loop and went extra distance by going up to the Christensen's driveway and back. I didn't check the temperature at the beginning and ending of my walk, but the sky was cloudy for the full walk. Judy worked in her garden and didn't walk with me. There was a gusty north breeze blowing with gusts of about 10 mph, but the gusts weren't very often.

I felt pretty good during my walk, but I think I will do the same route and distances next week to get better adjusted to them. I broke into 5+ miles again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment