Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Used the Expresso bike for 1 mile and ran/walked 1/2 mile

I came down with a cold during the night, so I reduced my running and walking at the rec center. This is the first cold I've had in 2 or 3 years. I had been running for a few years when I realized one day that I didn't get colds anymore. Before I started running, I would get several colds during the year. There are two conditions that cause me to get colds -- over training and insufficient sleep. I haven't been over training, but I have been getting insufficient sleep for several months. In fact, I've been wondering why I didn't have a cold, since I was only getting 5-6 hours of sleep per night. Apparently my immune system was strong enough that the insufficient sleep didn't lower my immunity enough for me to get a cold. Well, my staying up late finally caught up with me. I've been trying to get to bed earlier, and this cold will help me have more motivation toward that end. Last night, for example, I did get to bed earlier last night, but I woke up earlier this morning and didn't go back to sleep. I did, however, take a one-hour nap in the afternoon. But, even with the nap, I only had 6 1/2 hours of sleep.

The running literature usually says that it is OK to run through colds. However, due to my age, I go by my body's energy-level, and I had a low level this afternoon, hence the reduction in my running. In fact, my energy-level is my primary metric for determining how hard to push during my training.

Our air is still bad. We're expecting a major storm in a couple of days, and that may help clear out our air. However, the Jordan River Parkway path will probably be slick with ice, and I'll likely keep going to the rec center for a few days until we have warmer weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment