Saturday, September 14, 2013

Ran for 3.1 miles

I finished the week with a 3.1 mile run in 60 minutes. I've completed the first part of my goal -- a rest run of 60 minutes. The next part will be a medium run of 80 minutes, and I will pursue that goal by making 10% (approximate) increases in time to my mid-week and end-week runs. Next week, I'll aim for 60 minutes on Monday and 66 minutes on Wednesday and Saturday. Depending on how I feel, I might achieve that next week, or if not the week or two after. I'm still using a run/walk ratio of 90 seconds running and 60 seconds walking. I measured my stride rate at 136 steps per minute. I used to do 175 steps per minute, so I'm getting slower as I age. All runners should aim for a stride rate of 170-180 steps per minute. Doing this will help avoid shin splints and will help runners use a midfoot strike instead of a heel strike.

The sky was cloudy when I began my run, and it rained for about 10 minutes. Then the sky cleared up and the remainder of my run was a nice fall run. I only saw one other runner on the path, but I saw several cyclists.

No comments:

Post a Comment